Wednesday, February 9, 2011

This is your birthday song, it isn't very long. Hey!

Today is my birthday, February 10th, 2011, and I turn 21 years old.

One of my housemates asked me last night, "So have you got anything special planned for the big day?", and I told her, "I'm in Australia, how much more special can it be?" On the 'How cool is the birthday gift?' scale, being in Australia ranks just below going to the moon, but just above hitting a home run in the bottom of the 9th inning in Game 7 of the World Series for the Kansas City Royals and beating the New York Yankees.

This is my second week in Melbourne, and it's going just as well if not better than the first. I've had a definite attitude change, though, which has been relieving and very helpful. Last week, I was focused on the fact that I had no friends here, no community and nothing to do, and that was hard to face. But this week, I had the realization that I had nothing to do! That may seem like the same thing that I just said brought me down, but I looked at it in a different light. I had no commitments, no schedule and nowhere to be. I am a free man, with an unusual amount of free time. While that may be a bit lonely at times, and while all that free time may be a bit daunting, it's a pretty good problem to have.  

"So Reid, what do you do with all of that free time?" you ask?

I walk.

"Really? You just walk?"

Yep. I walk, and I sleep.
Source: The little squirrel that snuggled up next to me.
But in all seriousness, I do walk a lot. If you plan on travelling abroad, unless you're going to rent a car (and absolutely no student should have that sort of spare cash lying around), then you best get yourself in walking shape before you leave home. The other day, I walked for two straight hours and covered seven miles. All that walking makes you tired, which is why I sleep a lot. Just this week, I have taken a nap in two parks and one on the beach. The picture below was taken about an hour and a half into my two hour walk. You know the song "500 Miles" by The Proclaimers where they sing "And I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more...". Yeah, I'm calling your bluff on that one.

I proclaim that 7 miles is enough for me, thank you very much.
However, by walking around so much, you do get to see a lot of the city. In my previous blog, I mentioned that the Royal Botanical Garden is one of my favorite places to go. And how did I find the Botanical Garden? By walking there. Boom. 
This kind of view is worth the walk. Except for the guy in the middle there. Get out of my shot, mate!

The Botanical Garden is not only one of the most peaceful places I have ever been, but it is one of the coolest places, as well. Now, some of you might say "Bro, it's a garden. Just go to your backyard and you'll see the same thing."
Oh yeah? Really? You have this in your backyard?
What about this? You got this one, too?
Ladies and Gentleman, I present you with the coolest tree ever, and the coolest gate ever. Or maybe, technically, it's the coolest group of trees ever. Maybe it's a Transformer. I don't know, but it was worth the picture, and once again, worth the walk.

Also worth the walk, but for different reasons.

While seeing this plaque was a bit of a somber moment, it is always good to remember the events of September 11th, 2001 and give a prayer to those affected by it.

Unfortunately, I am can't come up with a suitable segway from the topic of 9/11, so we're just going to blaze on through. Australia and the U.S.A. are fairly similar in many ways. For instance, the man-to-man head nod still applies here (sup dude?), everyone complains about their jobs, and sports are a vital part of society. However, unsurprisingly, there are many things that are different.

This either an Australian's car, or the hubcap of a Hummer. Not sure which.
Cars: Australians are very similar to the Europeans in their views on cars, and the type of cars that they drive. Consider the picture above. If one of my friends bought this car, I would tell him "Dude, you'd better take that back to the dealership right away. They only gave you half the car!", while an Australian would say to his mate, "Sweet as, you bought the full-size sedan!". Another point of difference is in their trucks. The majority of the time, you will see what they call a "Ute".

A Ute. Small name for a small thing.
A Ute is considered a mid-size truck. In America, a Ute could most likely park in the spots reserved for compact cars and coupes. I'm not hating on small trucks, since I myself drive one. I'm merely pointing out the differences in our cultures, and emphasising that America got it right. U S A! U S A!

While we're on the subject of cars, I thought I'd give you a picture of this little gem that is parked down the street from me.
Shipped straight from Woodstock. This look familiar, all of you 40+ readers? 
My neighborhood rocks. And rolls.
You know what else rocks? My job. I am pleased to say that I really do enjoy my job and the two blokes on my job. I am learning a lot about how to run a project, and about how much work it takes to keep the job organized and on time. I have also learned that the coffee shop upstairs makes the best hot chocolate ever. Yum! I am really getting involved with my project; I have been put in charge of creating, organizing and delivering all of the contracts for the subcontractors for my project, as well as track the changes in work, prices and personal that may occur during the project. I have a lot to learn, but my manager and the foreman have been very helpful and have no problem with explaining things to me. We are really starting to get along, which makes work all that much better!
I mean, who wouldn't want to get along with a guy like this?

Looking good, champ!
Overall, I am doing very well here in Melbourne. I'm beginning to make plans for my travels while I'm here in Melbourne, and for my travels for after I'm done working. Also, my family comes to visit in a month, so I'm super excited about that! There's a lot to see, but remember, I have absolutely nothing to do! I hope everything is going well with you back in the States. Feel free to comment on my blog or e-mail me at rmmr2f@mail.missouri.edu, I would love to hear from you. God bless, and safe travels!



P.S. On a side note, this is a sign that I saw in the Royal Botanical Garden. Just a little something to leave you with.

It's a gateway crime. Pretty soon, you'll be holding up the Garden Center at Lowe's trying to score a maple tree.



9 comments:

  1. Reid, this is awesome stuff! Good work man! I'm glad it's working out well for you. I look forward to reiding more about Melbourne.
    i'm praying for you always man!

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep blogging, Reid. I am happy to hear things are getting better each day. BYX is praying for you as well as missing you. Stay safe and continue to have a fun time. BTW I hope you are ready to see one heck of a ballin' basketball team when you return!
    Chase

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are by far the funniest and coolest boy cousin I have! My favorite picture is that awesome shot the squirrel got if you. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no way those are your actual muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rock Reid! I love reading your blog! And I love the squirrel picture too! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sup Duu?? Good Stuff! I definitely will try to keep up with this blog... and if you by chance were hoping that I would create a blog for you to keep track of me... then here it is...
    Jacob Pollard:
    Doing lots of school work and especially papers till may..
    The End

    Keep on Keepin' On My man

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you make me laugh! I miss having you around the house, but at least having you on the computer helps. I love you and miss you and can't wait to see you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reider, you make a Dad proud! And laugh out loud. Your pics are sweet as. I am so glad you are feeling more settled-in. God has great things in store for you down under mate! Love you!

    ReplyDelete